7.16.2010

Onsie Week, Part 3

I was going for flouncy ruffles with this one.
Same drill as before, start with a onsie and fabric scraps (by the way, I didn't buy anything for any of these onsie makeovers).  I cut the onsie off about 2 inches below the armpits and saved the bottom.  Because I was using what I had, some of the strips weren't very wide, so I didn't want to waste width with a hem.  Instead, I just serged the edges.  After that, I ruffled the top strip:
The top strip then gets attached 3/4 of an inch above the bottom of the onsie piece:
I attached the rest of the pieces, in overlapping tiers, to a piece of white knit.
I left about 3/4 of an inch of the knit uncovered at the top.
Then I took the edge at the bottom of the onsie piece and the top of the tiered piece and zig zagged them together.
I didn't worry about right sides being together, since the seam would be hidden by the top ruffle.
And then:
Doesn't she look like Little Miss Muffet?
For next time:
I didn't think about making the strips for the ruffles longer towards the bottom this time, which is why I got more of a bell shape than an a-line. 


4 comments:

Anneliese said...

Very cute! Love the bell shape too.

Nancy's Couture said...

I love all the ruffles!!!! It is adorable.

Jennifer Dawn said...

Love this. So cute. I love making onesie dresses. You did a great job with this one.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

That turned out SO cute! LOVE LOVE LOVE the ruffles! And what a cutie to wear it!! :)