7.21.2010

Onsie Undies -Part 5 of Onsie Week

This is what I did with the bottom part of the onsie.  It's just a diaper cover- but so easy to make.  These would have been super handy if Mike and I hadn't gotten air conditioning this year.  Last year, when it would get up past 80 degrees in the house, I would just have Mim hanging out in her diaper.  That wouldn't have worked this year- if the velcro tabs aren't covered, she loves pulling on them and subsequently taking off her diaper, which I don't love.  At all.
So here's how it goes:
You cut off the snaps from your bottom onsie piece.
Then you pin right sides together and straight stitch, leaving about a quarter inch seam.
I used 3/4 inch elastic for the top- I made a casing, leaving a gap before I went all the way around to insert my elastic.  I threaded the elastic in, sewed it together, then closed the casing.  That was it.  I also added some contrast stitching along the leg holes.  There you go:
My original plan with the white ones was to sew a fly on them to make them look like little boy undies, but I thought I'd take the pictures before I attempt that.  Wouldn't that be cute, though?  A little one year old running around in what appears to be big boy undies?  I think I'll finish the white ones like that and send them to my nephew in Philadelphia.  The possibilities don't stop there, though- you could put ruffles on them and instead of a ruffle bum onsie (which are so popular right now), you'd just have a ruffle bum!  Or you could do a little bum applique, or ruffles around the leg holes, or...anything!  I'm glad I have so many onsie bottoms to experiment with. 
It almost makes me wish we didn't have air conditioning, so Mim could just be running around in these when we're home.  I suppose I'll just have to plan on them being under dresses and then count on Mim lifting her dress up to show people her "eek" (bellybutton).
Fun fact about bellybuttons:  if you undo yours, your butt will not, in fact, fall off.  That's what we told my little brother for years.
Update:
 Here they are with boy underpants lines on them.  I'll probably go over them a few more times to make them more obvious before I send them to my nephew, but I think they're hilarious. 






7 comments:

kpmattingly said...

Thanks for sharing this. My daughter has some dresses without bloomers--this would be a great and easy fix!

2littlehooligans said...

these are absolutely brilliant!

Betty said...

At least all she does is take her diaper off, when I was little I apparently used to secret things into mine (much to my mother's dismay).

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

What a clever idea! I think the ruffles would be beautiful.

I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting tomorrow. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
Kat
www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

casserole said...

This is so awesome!! I love the tighty-whitey stitching!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing in a post scheduled to go live Sunday, October 3 at 7:00am CST:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-underpants-diaper-cover-from-a-onesie/2010/10/03/

--Anne

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute idea! I will be making some of these as soon as my son starts pulling at the tabs! We have so many hand-me-down onsies, so this is a FREE project completely.

Mary said...

This is such a great idea for all those outgrown onesies...thank you for sharing....