11.05.2010

Old man shirt skirt

See?  It's a skirt made from an old man shirt. 
Its beginning:
We had this old man shirt floating around our house and I was going to make a dress for Mim out of it.  Then I decided I wanted a skirt.  Mim has a ton more clothes than I do, so it's justified.

I cut it up first:

And here's how I put it back together:

I can't decide if I'm glad I preserved the original hem shape or not.  My original plan didn't call for a ruffle, and that's why I wanted to preserve the hem at first, but maybe when I cut it off to add the ruffle I should have just done it straight across.  I can't decide.  Here it is for now, at least:
In reality, I'd wear it with boots.  

And from the side:
It's super comfortable.  The flannel is all worn and soft- I think this is an ideal fall/winter skirt for me.
It was so stinking hard to take pictures of myself in this.  I was bending over all awkwardly, stretching out as far as I could to get a wider angle...it was awesome.  Oh, and I was totally in an ugly pink t-shirt and my hair was in a towel turban.  It was super.
This one was a miss, but check out those gorgeous leaves behind me.  I can't remember a fall in Utah ever lasting as long as this one has.  It's fabulous!

14 comments:

Bethany said...

I was JUST thinking about doing something like this recently- I'm glad I saw this, it looks fantastic! :)

LBT said...

I think this is a great idea! It looks so comfortable and easily wearable and that's so important. Nice job!
Angelene
LBT
http://littlebuggietutu.blogspot.com

smilemonsters said...

So cute! I like the hem and I think it will look super with boots.

Jo @ http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Cute! I also love the wheat-rosette wreath in your header picture.

Seamingly Smitten said...

Your skirt looks cozy and trendy with those ruffles! Can't beat that! I would have never thought of making a skirt from a shirt. So inspiring!! Please add this to my linky party and giveaway!
www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com
Jenny

Danae said...

Cute skirt-- good job! Also, I like the shape of the hem, instead of being straight across. It makes it more interesting! I wonder if MY husband has any shirts he doesn't need...

C.R.A.F.T. said...

thanks for linking up to MMM! I would love to see a picture of the waist band! what a fun idea :)

jen @ {decor junkie} said...

Okay, that is seriously so smart. Such a great idea! I never would have thought of it either! Add this to my never-ending list of projects I want to tackle!
And I totally agree -- this fall in Utah has been the best! Wish it could stay like this!

DANA said...

That is awesome! I would love for you to link up at my Strut Your Stuff Party!
http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-party.html

mel@livvyloowho said...

I love this skirt, and I like the curve at the bottom too.

PS, I have a giveaway going on, I would love for you to enter!
http://livvyloowho.blogspot.com/2010/11/tree-branch-earrings-and-giveaway.html

April@gingerbreadgirl said...

this is great....I love the colors and ruffle at the bottom!!!

Bobbie - Clumsy Crafter said...

I love the hem shape!

CJ said...

How did you do the waistband??

Super cute and I can see my daughter wearing this!

Amy said...

I really like the hem shape! I don't think I would like it without the ruffle...because then it would just look like the shirt hem. But with the ruffle, it really adds something--and I say that as a girl who's not normally into ruffles! The whole thing reminds me of prairie skirts from the 80s, in the best possible way. And as others have said before me, this will look fantastic with boots.