6.14.2012

Road trippin'

Well, we're not driving yet. We leave for Oregon next week (it'll be about a 15 hour or so drive for us- we're going all the way to the coast) and I've been busy getting things ready that will keep my 3 year old busy.

I have a few things done and thought I'd share this one today:
 But what is it, you ask? Well, it's a cookie sheet with a bunch of animals and things on it. There's something special about these animals and things, though.

Ta-da! They have a magnet on the back and will stick to the cookie sheet, which (in my opinion) will make them ideal car toys.

So really, the only "making" I did was taking a pile of these little wood animals:
{I got mine at Hobby Lobby for I think 50cents apiece.}
 And using this to attach magnets:
{I didn't use hot glue because I was worried about it getting soft in a hot car.}
 And voila!

Incredibly simple, but I think she'll have a lot of fun with it. I'm sure I would have when I was a kid.

Since I bought so many little wood figures, I plan on only letting her play with them in small groups (sea creatures, farm animals, pets, etc.). That way it will seem new to her for a longer time, which will hopefully result in her being entertained for a longer period of time. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

I have more magnet-using, cookie sheet applicable toys coming up, so stay tuned.



2 comments:

Natasha SerenityYou said...

what a great idea! can't believe I never thought about gluing magnets on the back LOL

Natasha - your newest follower

Michelle M said...

Very cute! The car seat nerd part of me is trying to think of a softer, more car traveling friendly magnetic surface. The general rule for stuff in a car is that if you wouldn't feel comfortable throwing it as hard as you can at your child, it won't be safe in an accident. I'm coming up blank on a surface alternative though.