The mat is organized by senses (it was the easiest way to think of things to put on it) and yesterday I finished the touch quarter.
So, the big thing is like a little touch book. I took a bunch of different fabrics with distinct feels, used Heat n' Bond, zig zagged the edges together, then put eyelets in. I just used normal 3 ring binder hoops to put it together. The fabrics I used include velour, burlap, denim, terry cloth, minky, satin, felt, monk's cloth, suede, flannel, cotton with puff paint on it, and corduroy. I thought I was going to have a hard time thinking of more than 3 or 4 fabrics, but then I couldn't stop thinking of them. I already had all of them, too. Nice.
The book attaches to the mat like so:
Those little bits with the trims on them are detachable, too:
One of the goals I refuse to sacrifice with this mat is that it NEEDS to be washable. Pretty much everything will be detachable.
Again, I know that the book might be a little advanced for her at this age. Mim will be there to help, though. The little tassel bits will be perfect for Elle, though. She loves grabbing and pulling right now. My hair, Mim's hair, faces, everything.
That's part 2. Here's part 1.